Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

{summer of sam}

The Summer of Sam is quickly coming to a close. School supplies are being bought, work clothes are coming up from the basement, and my mind is no longer on what time of day is best to get a tan, but more on how I need to wean myself into getting out of bed before 7:00am.

Remember my summer "To Do" list? Well, it seems I have made a pretty good attempt at accomplishing the things on it. The things I have left seem to be more of "hopes" rather than "must do's".

  • go to Chicago for the HOW Design Conference - We did this at the beginning of summer - I still need to post about it. It was AAAA-MAZ-ING!
  • make an outdoor table top - I still want to do this. It's definitely not at the top of my list, though.
  • make two initial pillows - Also, still want to do this. I just can't seem to find the perfect sham. Maybe I should just make the whole thing from scratch. Hmm.
  • go to Table Rock at least twice - Best place ever. Hoping to go again before the summer is over.
  • throw a Fourth of July party - Hell's yeah!
  • fix the wall in the kitchen - Thanks Michael, I really do appreciate you!
  • get the AC checked
  • make a coffee table - More like BUY a coffee table way cooler than one I could make.
  • repaint our bed
  • organize the closets
  • save money to pay off loans - Ongoing, but making real progress.
  • paint the lanterns in living room
  • go camping - I hope we get to go again this summer/fall. I love camping.
  • go horseback riding
  • go to the lake with friends - More like "roast at the lake with friends"
  • clean out the basement
  • clean out the desk
  • paint the front door
  • finish portfolio - This is a biggie! Tim finished his portfolio!!! And it looks great, I might add.
  • have our niece and nephews in town
  • go camping in CO and visit Carrie
  • throw an outdoor movie night - I've realized this is more of a fall thing. It's been too hot. Hopefully I'll be able to cross this one off in a few months.
  • make homemade ice cream at least twice
  • clean the blinds
  • change out cabinet doors in kitchen - I want to put window-paned doors on a few cabinets. Problem - I can't seem to find the ones that match our cabinets. This one might need to be taken off the list for good...
  • rewire the living room lamp - So it doesn't burn the house down. There are reasons why things sell for close to nothing at thrift stores.

I really feel blessed to have my summers off. I know it's part of the whole teaching gig, but I really love it. It gives me a time to unwind, relax, and just get my mind in a more creative place. I am able to focus on the more important things that get pushed aside during the school year. Tim and I are able to spend more time together, I can throw dinner parties at the drop of a hat, and just do the things I want to because I have time to do them.  On that same note...I am always ready for the school year to start again. I am ready for the consistency, the challenge, the kids, and most of all, the fall wardrobe. Boot season, baby!

0 comments: